As one of the most compelling cities in the Middle East, Dubai leads the region in culture, tourism and shopping, attracting people from all over the world. Home to over 150 nationalities, with expats comprising over 80% of the population, Dubai has proven to be the preferred regional headquarters for expatriates from around the world. UAE is known to be one of the safest countries in the world, with 24-hour security in most apartment buildings and monitored streets, living in the city or commuting solo or with a group is safe.
Dubai is a diverse economy, with opportunities and growth in several fields including tourism, trade, transport and finance. The government invests heavily in creating smart city systems and technological developments to elevate standards of living and consistently create employement opportunities.
5 Things you need to know about living in the city
- Dubai is a tropical desert city, summers are often sunny and humid while winters are cool and comfortable. The city's abundance of indoor activities and attractions ensure that residents and tourists have enough to see and do all year round.
- The local weekends are Friday and Saturday, with offices and institutions resuming work every Sunday.
- As a modern city with students and working professionals from around the globe, Dubai is home to a variety of cuisines and experiential food options. From budget-friendly eateries and home-styled restaurants to fine-dining, molecular gastronomy and international food chains, you are guaranteed to have every craving satisfied.
- Click for your meals. Mobile applications like Deliveroo, Talabat, Zomato and Carriage detect your location and give you every takeout within the vicinity.
- Dubai is a shopper's haven. Designer clothes, spices, jewellry, food and anything you require is easily available in one of the city's many shopping malls.
Immerse yourself in the culture of the region by visiting the Etihad Museum or Dubai Museum, where you can learn about the foundation, formation and values of the city. For art-lovers Dubai is home to several galleries including Alserkal Avenue that brings together diverse artistic disciplines under one banner.
Desert safaris are a must-experience for the thrill and excitement, the day-long drives usually include dinner in the middle of the desert, dune bashing and camel rides. Amusement parks, water-theme parks and virtual reality parks are popular amongst visitors IMG Worlds of Adventures, Dubai Parks and Resorts, Legoland Dubai, Motiongate Dubai and Aquaventure Waterpark, are some of the popular theme parks.
When living in Dubai, be sure to also check out some of the city's favourite and most visited spots like Dubai Mall, Palm Jumeirah, Burj Al Arab, Burj Khalifa, Kite Beach, City Walk, Dubai Marina, JBR, Al Seef and La Mer.
Fire Department: 997
Click here, to get the complete list of contact numbers and the nearest hospital to you.
©2018 AMITY UNIVERSITY DUBAI