Dr. Ashok is an experienced academic and Fellow - Chartered Architectural Technologist (FCIAT) with a strong background in architecture and design education. He currently serves as an associate professor and programme leader at the School of Engineering, Architecture and Interior Design at Amity University Dubai.
His academic and research focus includes learning and teaching-based research in architectural and design education, intercultural communication, urban and conservation studies, and curriculum development leading to international accreditation.
With a strong education and professional background, Dr. Ashok has pursued his architectural studies at Sir J.J. College of Architecture and Pillai College of Architecture, University of Mumbai, India. He has a Doctorate in Architecture from the Welsh School of Architecture, Cardiff University, UK.
He has been awarded the golden visa for creatives by the UAE Ministry of Culture and Youth through a recommendation letter for his research collaboration with the Sharjah Museums Authority (SMA), Government of Sharjah, UAE.
He has also played a significant role in establishing interior design and architecture programmes at various universities, including Sir J.J. College and Rizvi College of Architecture in Mumbai, India. He was the first Chairperson and Professor at the School of Design and Architecture, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Dubai, where he implemented outcome-based education (OBE) in curricular design and international accreditation and assessment.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Architecture), Welsh School of Architecture, Cardiff University, UK, 2018
- Master of Architecture (M. Arch - by Research), Sir J.J. College of Architecture, University of Mumbai, India, 2003
- Diploma in Indian Aesthetics, Department of Philosophy, University of Mumbai, India, 2001
- Bachelor of Architecture (B. Arch - Honours), Pillai College of Architecture, University of Mumbai, India, 1997
- AGI, “The Physical and Digital Experience in light of Visitor Engagement using Museum Typology as an Urban Cultural Denominator: Sharjah-UAE in Perspective,” Museums in the Middle East Journal: Museums and Digital experience, Volume 3, April 2022, pp. 44-55, Sharjah Museums Authority, https://www.sharjahmuseums.ae/en-US/Publication/MiddleEastJournal
- AGI & Andrew Roberts, “Engaging with the Deep: Developing an understanding of deep and surface learning in design studio education,” Essay in Charrette (ISSN 2054-6718) 6(1): Flipping the Script: Foregrounding the Architecture Student, Volume 6, Number 1, Spring 2020 (01-03-2020), pp. 29-52(24), the Journal of the Association of Architectural Educators (AAE), https://www.ingentaconnect.com/contentone/arched/char/2020/00000006/00000001/art00003
- AGI & School of Design & Architecture, MAHE - Dubai, “Architectural, Spatial and Urban construct of Museums as a typology and its impact on the Cultural Capital: Emirate of Sharjah,” AED 9,000/- from Sharjah Museums Authority, Government of Sharjah, UAE, April 2019
- AGI, “Final Phase III - Analysis of Classification of Approaches to Learning in Architectural Education through Nvivo 12 & SPSS,” AED 10,500/- from Research & Development Program, MAHE-Dubai (2019-20)
- AGI, “Approaches to Learning in Architectural Education,” AED 13,650/- from Research & Development Program, MAHE-Dubai (2017-18)
- AGI, “Conservation Management and Development Plan for Al Mahatta Museum – Research Project Being conducted with Sharjah Museums Department, Government of Sharjah,” AED 14,000/- from Research & Development Program, MAHE-Dubai (2016-17)
- AGI, “Impact of Fundamentals of Design and Visual Theory on the Design Curricula of the Architecture Program,” AED 10,000/- from Research & Development Program, MAHE-Dubai for attending the National Conference on the Beginning Design Student (NCBDS 2015) at University of Houston and Data Collection at School of Architecture, University of Texas in Austin & Oklahoma State University, United States of America, (2014-15)
- Fellow – Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT) UK (035806 – FCIAT)
- Member – Council of Architecture (CoA), New Delhi, India (CA/1998/22465)
- Associate – Indian Institute of Architects (IIA), Mumbai, India (13546)
- Affiliate – The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) (20041373)
- School Governor as a part of the AUS Governors Board at the Arab Unity School, P.O Box: 10563, Al Mizhar1 – Dubai, UAE, February 2022
- Doctoral Committee Member for research scholar Sanjyot Shah at School of Architecture and Interior Design, SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Kattankulathur, India, February 2021
- ARCH257 Building Typologies Controls and Codes
- ARCH320 Architectural Design Studio - VI
- ARCH256 Architectural Seminar - I
- ARCH518 Thesis Project in Architecture